Charleston's Wraggborough neighborhood, bounded by King Street to the west and E. Bay Street to the east, was the destination for a walking tour of one of the city's busiest and most historic districts. Named for Joseph Wragg, an early 18th-century slave trader who once owned the entire parcel, the district's seven main streets are named after Joseph's children - Ann, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Henrietta, John, Judith and Mary.
During our tour, we visited the grounds of the Joseph Manigault house, with its lovely gardens anddistinctive red-roofed rotunda - which, we learned, once housed restrooms for a gas station that occupied part of the site. Across the street is the Museum of Charleston, one of the country's oldest municipal museums, which manages the Manigault house.
Nearby, at the intersection of Meeting and Calhoun streets, is the former home of The Citadel, now an Embassy Suites hotel whose lobby gives a nod to the former occupant with reproductions of the two crenellated towers of The Citadel's logo. We finished our walk at the campus of the College of Charleston, with its stately live oaks along the walkways. Founded in 1770, the college is the nation's oldest educational institution south of Virginia. So much history packed into just one section of the city!